Saturday, February 21, 2009

Welcome to Quick Tips from IT to Users

Welcome to my new adventure. I was sitting here on a snowy Saturday and checking out the settings on my Facebook page. I thought that I should make sure my friends know that they can and should do this. So here it is, my way to let my friends, and everyone else, know some of the tricks and tips I have picked up over the years.

Here's my plan: I'll try to post at least once a week a tip, trick involving computers, or the internet. I'm open to suggestions, so if you what to know about something, just ask and I'll try to address it in a future post. I'm guessing that for a while, there will be many posts, but eventually it will slow down to once a week.

Your next question is probably, who am I? Well, my name is Sara and I've been in IT for over 10 years. I started using them pretty early on (mid-80's) because my dad worked with them at work and loved using spreadsheets to create lists. I also share that love (and ability to be that anal!) so my paper route (in 1989) was managed in a spreadsheet. Eventually I went off to college for a Bachelor of Business Administrator in End User Computer Support (or Office Systems as it was called the semester I graduated) from University of Wisconsin - Whitewater.

Since then I've been a "Jack-of-All-Trades" within IT Support for two different companies. I answer Help Desk calls, support, and maintain servers and a phone system, conduct user training, and sometimes even pull out the tools to fix a chair or hang a picture for someone.

Currently my job includes all that and I'm responsible for rolling out new software or major updates to current software, I also handle supporting cell phones and BlackBerries and the Blackberry server. (Yes, I am addicted to my Blackberry!). Therefore, while no two days are ever the same, and never go as planned, I still get to do what I got into the career to do: Help people use computers.

This brings me back to this Blog. It's here to give me another way to share my knowledge and curiosity with others. I want to tell you about little tricks you may not know about, about why your IT department does things the way it does, and most importantly make you more comfortable with your computer and the Internet.

So off we go!

SaraVN

No comments:

Post a Comment